Double Challenge Birthday Card

The other night I had a flash of inspiration.  I was thinking about the current MFT Birthday Project challenge in conjuction with the current MFT Sketch Challenge.  For those that aren't familiar with the MFT Birthday Project challenge, it is a challenge to create a birthday card with a specific element added.  The current Birthday Project requires adding rainbow colors to the card and I have seen some beautiful entries so far!  So I thought, why not combine the two?


I thought some of the flowers in the MFT Stitched Flowers dienamics could be colored with distress inks for a faded out look and have one in each rainbow color.  To start, I inked some circles on a piece of white cardstock in the following distress inks: Festive Berries, Spiced Marmalade, Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean, and Seedless Preserves.  The only color I didn't have was a light yellow so I used Mama Elephant's Sunshine ink pad.  Their ink has a nice powdery finish and would compliment the distress inks nicely.  Plus, I wasn't using water with the inks so the substitution would work.



Then I die cut each flower by taping it over one of the colored circles.  I also cut out four stems (2 straight and 2 curved) and three of each of the four leaves in the set out of a green cardstock.  I used the same technique of partial die cutting from my last card for the frame.  Since the flowers would be a rainbow of color, I choose to cut the frame out of grey cardstock. 


I didn't want the card completely white, so before I glued anything down, I added a soft layer of Tumbled Glass distress ink in the area where the frame and flowers would go.  I didn't want it to be super noticeable, but just enough color to soften the white and play off the faded edges of the flowers.


I attached my frame first, leaving the bottom edge loose so I could tuck the stem ends under it.  One flower at a time, I figured out placement and attached the coordinating stem, cutting one straight and one curved stem to make the shorter stems.  I filled in the leaves as I went along, trying to not leave too much open space.  Lastly, I added the sentiment strip, cut out of black cardstock and embossed in white to really make it pop!


Thanks for visiting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next 30 Day Coloring Challenge by the Daily Marker

Catching Snowflakes card